Welcome to the first edition of Monday Musings for 2012. A veritable New Year's cornucopia of topics, from the insane to the ridiculous. Let's start with the insane...
- A new Rasmussen poll revealed that only 5% of Americans approve of Congress. To put that in perspective, other recent approval ratings as determined by polling..
- Charles Manson 9.5%
- Lindsay Lohan 18%
- British Petroleum 16% (taken during the spill)
- Dying alone 38%
- The average American family spent a record $4150 on gasoline in 2011. I actually heard a lib talking head say that means the economy is improving! Uh, no.....demand for gasoline actually pulled back during 2011, the record spending was due to the high energy prices supported by the Obama administration. On the day Dear Leader was inaugurated, gasoline was $1.67 at my neighborhood gas station. Along that vein, Iran is making noises about blocking the Strait of Hormuz, thereby choking off a major source of Middle Eastern crude for the West. Hey Barry....can we actually start developing our own resources NOW? Start drilling, approve the Keystone pipeline, and let's get this country on her own two feet.
- Rest easy SACSTW fans, you can continue to read your favorite blog by the blinding light of a 100W incandescent bulb for a few more months (at least in the U.S). January 1, 2012 was supposed to be the end of the 100W bulb, but Congressional action in December pushed that back to at least October. If you have already made the switch to compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs, you surely have the local HAZMAT team number on speed dial just in case you break one of them right?
- Schools in California are now required to teach students about the contributions made to America by gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people.
- Utah has banned daily drink specials in bars....the end of "happy hour" as we know it. Coming from one who enjoyed "Monday Four-fers" as a young college student, this makes me sad
- Georgia now requires golf carts that are driven off the course to be equipped with brakes, reverse warning signal, tail lights, hip restraints, and a horn. Come to think of it, maybe this one is OK....
- Illinois now allows motorcyclists to proceed through a red light if it fails to turn green "within a reasonable time". Hmmm, no potential for trouble there......
- Illinois also is making it illegal to dispose of electronics such as TV's, keyboards, printers, etc into a landfill. The measure is aimed at getting toxic materials out of the landfills and into your light fixtures.
Have some fun today folks, google "ridiculous new laws for 2012" and see what else your elected leaders have been up to. Just a note of caution, be sure to have plenty of Pepto-Bismol on hand.